Saturday, April 19, 2008

Green


Spring
Oil 16 x 16
Sold

The weather this week has been absolutely wonderful- mild, slightly breezy, sunny and everything is ....green...very green. Landscape painters will all tell you that green is the toughest color to get a handle on, the one most easily and often abused. Some respond by just not going there at all, and others go too far. I decided to celebrate spring by pulling out a color called cadmium green. Its made by Gamblin and its just the sort of color that would make you think of Wolf Kahn, not Deborah Paris. But its spring, and I'm celebrating.

I'm pleased to say that my work is included in the annual Plein Air Texas show which is put on by the Outdoor Painters Society. The exhibit includes about 50 artists and opens today at Southwest Gallery in Dallas, Texas.

8 comments:

Bill Sharp said...

Deborah,

The green is really beautiful. I should say, you're use of it is beautiful. I'm trying to resist abandoning my limited palette and you're not helping.

Congratulations on your inclusion in Plein Air Texas

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Bill. I know what you mean about the limited palette. I painted with a limited palette for many years and found it to be invaluable. When I used just primaries, plus black and white, I found I could make the most naturalistic greens with black and yellow. Thanks for stopping by!

Cooper Dragonette said...

I love the soft focus of your work Deborah. Inspiring!

Casey Klahn said...

A few years back, my response to spring was an all green work. A range of values and intensities did the work.

Very beautiful works, here.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Cooper. And I love those Cape paintings you've been posting!

Hi Casey. Yes, value, temperature and chroma really are the keys to sorting out green (well, really, any color). Here the value range was relatively narrow, so I concentrated on temperature. Thanks for visiting!

sandra flood said...

Your work is beautiful!

Deborah Paris said...

Thank you Sandra. I enjoyed seeing your figurative work on your blog. Thanks for visiting!