Saturday, April 25, 2009

A New Day

A New Day
10 x 10

Available at Hildt Galleries, Chicago

The other day I read that scientists have determined that space begins 62 miles above the earth's surface. The article included a photograph taken from space at an oblique angle of the earth and its atmosphere. It was shocking- that thin little envelope of air separating us from deep, black space. Sixty two miles- that's about the same distance I drive round trip to the nearest Walmart. Nothing could more emphatically demonstrate the fragile, tenuous nature of our existence. And yet, the thing that struck me- just as it does when I stand at the edge of a pond or watch the weather blow in from the west- is the incredible inventiveness, the sheer creativity of Creation.

8 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

What an amazing fact - I don't think I'll ever forget that one. This is another beautiful painting. I can feel the dawning light spilling over the water.

Robin Pedrero said...

another stunning work of art!

Jill Berry said...

Glowing writing and painting today.

Unknown said...

I also saw that photo of our planet and was so amazed at how thin our hold is.

Love your paintings and the sense of atmosphere you create. I am a still-life painter and also am learning about the atmosphere or the "air" around the objects.

Your work is very inspiring!

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Janelle- hope your painting is going well!

Thank you Robin & Jill!

Hi Cindy. Thanks for visiting!

Jala Pfaff said...

Very cool. Would love to see that photo.
Your painting looks like something "from the dawning of creation." Nice.

Brenda Boylan said...

Absolutely beautiful work! An inspiration to follow...thanks for sharing. I would like to see that photo too! Where can we find it?

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks guys! I tried to find the photo again but couldn't. However, if you go to Google Images and type in Earth's atmosphere, there are several images that show the same thing.