Saturday, April 25, 2009

A New Day

A New Day
10 x 10

Available at Hildt Galleries, Chicago

The other day I read that scientists have determined that space begins 62 miles above the earth's surface. The article included a photograph taken from space at an oblique angle of the earth and its atmosphere. It was shocking- that thin little envelope of air separating us from deep, black space. Sixty two miles- that's about the same distance I drive round trip to the nearest Walmart. Nothing could more emphatically demonstrate the fragile, tenuous nature of our existence. And yet, the thing that struck me- just as it does when I stand at the edge of a pond or watch the weather blow in from the west- is the incredible inventiveness, the sheer creativity of Creation.

8 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

What an amazing fact - I don't think I'll ever forget that one. This is another beautiful painting. I can feel the dawning light spilling over the water.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

another stunning work of art!

Jill Berry said...

Glowing writing and painting today.

Cindy said...

I also saw that photo of our planet and was so amazed at how thin our hold is.

Love your paintings and the sense of atmosphere you create. I am a still-life painter and also am learning about the atmosphere or the "air" around the objects.

Your work is very inspiring!

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Janelle- hope your painting is going well!

Thank you Robin & Jill!

Hi Cindy. Thanks for visiting!

Jala Pfaff said...

Very cool. Would love to see that photo.
Your painting looks like something "from the dawning of creation." Nice.

B Boylan said...

Absolutely beautiful work! An inspiration to follow...thanks for sharing. I would like to see that photo too! Where can we find it?

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks guys! I tried to find the photo again but couldn't. However, if you go to Google Images and type in Earth's atmosphere, there are several images that show the same thing.