Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Painting the Night

Moonlighting
12 x 12
Available at Blackheath Gallery, London


Its probably no secret to those who have been reading this blog for a while that I love nocturnes. Like many of my visual obsessions, this one goes back to childhood. Like a lot of kids, I stayed out on summer evenings to catch fireflies and count the stars. But my most vivid memories are of a cottage on a lake where we stayed for a few weeks one summer. There was long dock with a covered boat house and screened porch where I could wile away hot summer nights watching the moon rise or the reflections of the lights from the other side of the lake.

These days I sometimes wake early to watch the full moon, huge and glowing, set outside my window. Here is a favorite poem that puts words to my fascination. Enjoy.

Moon & Water

I wake and spend
the last hours
of darkness
with no one

but the moon.
She listens
to my complaints
like the good

companion she is
and comforts me surely
with her light.
But she, like everyone,

has her own life.
So finally I understand
that she has turned away,
is no longer listening.

She wants me
to refold myself
into my own life.
And, bending close,

as we all dream of doing,
she rows with her white arms
through the dark water
which she adores


Mary Oliver

9 comments:

B Lancton said...

Your nocturnes are captivating, Deborah, and this one is especially beautiful. Perhaps it is the way you added that wonderful poem by Mary Oliver. She is one of my favorites. What a delight it was to come across her name when I finished the last line. At any rate, I love your painting and am having a hard time closing my browser because I want to keep looking at it!

Lisa McShane said...

Lovely. Love the reflection.

Stephen Washburn said...

It's nice seeing two works that compliment one another so well.
Thanks!

Caroline Simmill said...

Beautiful painting Deborah and the poem is very special. I must read more of the poet's work.

Jala Pfaff said...

Simply gorgeous. And the poem too.

Deborah Paris said...

Thanks Bea. Oliver is a definite favorite of mine.

Thank you Lisa.

Hi Steve- thanks.I think there is a strong connection between poetry and painting.

Thank you Caroline- I highly recommend her work to you!

I appreciate your comments Jala!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Fantastic colour and mood Deborah. So inspiring!

Diane Hoeptner said...

The moon and related reflections look positively magical!

Deborah Paris said...

Thank you Diane!