Saturday, July 10, 2010

Back Home

We got home late Thursday after a quick trip to Denver to visit family. On the way back we stopped at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City which is the site of the prestigious Prix de West annual show and also home to a fabulous collection of art. As I have mentioned before, my friend and mentor Hollis Willford (1940-2007) was a two time Prix de West winner. His monumental Welcome Sundown stands outside the entrance to the museum.


Although seeing the current Prix de West show on exhibit was a treat, the most moving part of the visit for me was to see, once again, Wilson Hurley's gigantic triptychs which are installed in a special room. I have written about Hurley here and why he and his work have influenced me. Here are a few very poor shots taken with a cell phone camera. You can't see much about the art but you can get a sense of the scale. Makes my little triptych efforts look very puny! For more about Wilson Hurley's triptych project for the museum you can go here.


That's me standing across the room and also in front of the New Mexico triptych (below).




6 comments:

Caroline Simmill said...

Thanks for posting the photos Deborah. What incredible paintings by Wilson Hurley you do indeed look really wee compared to the incredible size of the canvas.

Lynne E. Windsor said...

They are truly awesome Deborah, thanks for sharing. Maybe Barry and I will make it up there one of these days. Hope you are recovering from your adventures!

Brenda Boylan said...

WOW! These triptychs are HUGE! I checked out Wilson Hurley's work and I can see direct the influence in your work...simply beautiful!

Ed Terpening said...

Wow, that Wilson Hurley triptych looks amazing. The scale!

Lisa McShane said...

It is so great to see the scale! My geologist husband takes pictures of rocks with pennies on them to capture the scale - it's amazing to see paintings using a person for scale. Wonderfully LARGE paintings!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the triptych - whoa! Very exciting and inspiring....a visit there is on my list.